- At this time, construction related to site work, new buildings and roadway improvements related to all components of the Meadow Walk project have commenced in earnest.
- Roadway improvements will be completed in phases, with the new traffic signal in operation in January 2018 and final paving, landscaping and sidewalks in spring 2018.
- The site work and building construction components of the Meadow Walk project will be completed in phases wrapping up in early 2019.
NOVEMBER 2017 CONSTRUCTION UPDATE
During the last two months, we have enhanced access to the site for the public and customers of Whole Foods. Specifically, we have opened the “main entrance” to Meadow Walk (Bay Drive), which is located on Route 20 immediately across from the Shaw Plaza western driveway (the driveway farthest from the CVS).
Although Bay Drive is now open to the public, it will continue to be the main access for construction vehicles for the development that is ongoing in the rear of the site. To provide maximum flexibility, customers and employees of Whole Foods can also access the store from Meadow Walk’s west drive (closest to Bartlett Farms).
At peak shopping hours (late afternoons and weekends) and during certain ongoing construction activities on Route 20, along Route 20 and on Bay Drive, Sudbury Police will be on site to assist with directing both customer and construction traffic. This will continue to be the case until we’ve finished installing the traffic signal at the Bay Drive/Route 20 intersection early next year.
Whole Foods is very excited about the coming holiday season and, not surprisingly, expecting a significant increase in customer traffic. With construction activity continuing on Route 20 and onsite, we appreciate the public’s patience and understanding with our interim conditions during this busy time of the year for all of us.
As you will see on your next visit to our site, we have installed a variety of construction signage directing commuter, resident, customer and construction traffic. When you are coming to, from or past the Meadow Walk site, please pay careful attention to this signage and to direction provided by the Sudbury police officers working the traffic details for the project.
The timeline for the project components are as follows:
- WHOLE FOODS MARKET – COMPLETE
- CONSTRUCTION SCHEDULE:
We are pleased to report that, as of November 1st, all components and phases of the Meadow Walk project are actively under construction. The scope of work includes:
- Common roadways
- Common public open spaces
- 250 Luxury apartments developed by Avalon Bay
- 57 age-restricted condos developed by Pulte Homes
- 48 Memory Care assisted living units developed by National Development
- 35,000 square feet of retail shops developed by National Development
Portions of all of the above project components will start to deliver in the 2nd quarter of 2018. We excited to report that, based on the current construction schedules and progress, we fully expect that construction of all of the above project components will be 100% complete by the end of 2018.
We have received a great deal of interest from the public related to the timing and tenancy of the retail village shops. In addition to Whole Foods, we have announced our next major tenant – Oak Barrel Restaurant. We expect Oak Barrel to open in the summer of 2018 and the balance of the retail tenants to come on line during the 2nd half of 2018, including a diverse mix of restaurant, service and other high-end retail tenants. For anyone interested in retail leasing opportunities please contact The Dartmouth Company at 617.369.5902 or 617.369.5905.
- ROUTE 20 IMPROVEMENTS :
Route 20 improvements include not only a new traffic signal to be shared by Meadow Walk and Shaw’s Plaza (and Highland Avenue), but also a new traffic signal for the fire station, and new sidewalks, crosswalks and associated pedestrian signals. We are very pleased to have the opportunity to improve both traffic flow into/out of our site and also the pedestrian experience along and across Route 20.
As of November 1st, Route 20 roadway widening is substantially complete on the north side of the road (Meadow Walk side) and is now moving to the south side of Route 20. In order to minimize the disruptions during commuting times and to accomplish most of the work before the winter sets in, our roadway contractors will be working multiple shifts on Route 20. The remaining north side work will continue during the day (behind jersey barriers so not impacting traffic flow). Work on the south side will take place at night with detours as needed similar to the ones that National Grid have used over the last several months during their gas main upgrade work on Route 20. Our construction team’s goal is to work as quickly and efficiently as possible to complete the Route 20 improvements on schedule early next year.
The Sudbury Police Department will continue to provide police details to direct vehicular and pedestrian traffic during active construction on Route 20. The Police Department will also be posting frequent traffic updates on their Facebook page and Twitter to help residents and commuters plan the routes/timing of vehicular trips along the Meadow Walk stretch of Route 20.
- AVALON SUDBURY’S 250 LUXURY APARTMENT UNITS – Construction has commenced. The clubhouse, management/leasing office and first two apartment buildings will be complete and ready for occupancy in April 2018. The entire Avalon development will be complete by the end of 2018.
- MEADOW WALK VILLAGE RETAIL – 35,000 SF in four buildings consisting of 10 to 15 different establishments with a vibrant mix of restaurants and other retailers. Construction has started on all four buildings. Store openings will commence in the spring/summer of 2018.
- THE BRIDGES BY EPOCH MEMORY CARE ASSISTED LIVING COMMUNITY – 48 units in a state-of-the-art single story building. Construction has commenced and will be completed in June of 2018.
- HIGHCREST AT MEADOW WALK ACTIVE ADULT CONDOMINIUM RESIDENCES– 21 townhomes and 36 apartment units. Construction is scheduled to commence fall 2017. Units will be delivered in phases starting in Q1 2018 and continuing through Q1 2019. We expect the “model” townhomes and marketing office to open January or February of 2018.
AS WE PROGRESS WITH CONSTRUCTION, MAINTAINING A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR ALL (RESIDENTS, COMMUTERS, TENANTS, VISITORS AND CONTRACTORS ALIKE) WHILE MINIMIZING INCONVENIENCE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC IS OUR TOP PRIORITY. WE WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE FREQUENT UPDATES THROUGHOUT THE CONSTRUCTION PROCESS.